ChemAlert reports display one of three possible colour ratings:
rated chemicals are considered to pose a Low level of hazard for normal use;
rated chemicals are considered to pose a Moderate level of hazard for normal use;
rated chemicals are considered to pose a High level of hazard for normal use.
When assigning colour ratings to ChemAlert reports, the safety and environmental impacts are reviewed for each product. SDS are assessed independently by our team of Scientists, with parameters such as chemical ingredients, product form, potential routes of exposure, toxicity and chemical properties of each individual product evaluated in order to assign an appropriate colour rating to the ChemAlert report.
The following outlines the criteria addressed in order to assign one of three colour ratings.
- Product form (ie. solid, liquid, or gas);
- Product use and nature of application (ie. paint, spray, brush or roller applied)
- Potential route of exposure (ie. eye, respiratory, skin absorption, ingestion);
- Inherent toxicity of chemical ingredients (ie. physiological effects – acute and chronic, carcinogenicity, mutagenicity, teratogenicity, reproductive effects – Additive and Synergistic effects are also taking into account);
- Irritancy and corrosive nature (ie. mild irritation versus corrosive damage, reversible or irreversible);
- Dose – Response (ie. concentration required to cause a toxic response – LD50; LCLo; TC50; TCLo, etc);
- Exposure Standard (ie. Time Weighted Average – TLV; STEL; IDLH);
- Chemical reactivity (ie. spontaneously explosive, radioactive, etc);
- Flammability (ie. flammable, non flammable, combustible); and
- Legislative requirements and Storage and transport requirements (ie. Poison Schedule Classification, Dangerous Goods Classification, Hazardous Substances Classification).
A scale is adopted for each of these criteria. The relevant information is then considered in the overall hazard the product presents to the safety of the individual intending to handle the product.
For an example of how a colour rating may be assigned to a product, Download the